Query on check_http timeout option

Sharad Ganapathy sharadgana at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 08:07:38 CEST 2010

Hello,

I want to understand the timeout option in check_http. From the help option,
it states :
-t, --timeout=INTEGER
    Seconds before connection times out (default: 10)

I monitor a webservice to check for connectivity and also pass some
parameters to get some content back. Usually the download transfer takes
around 20 seconds and occasionally it takes well over a minute or two. I
have configured my check in this fashion.

$ROOT/libexec/nagios/check_http -u 'some URL' -I API Hostname  -t 10 -c 20
-p 4080 -A 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; pagechecks
mon)'

I am seeing the check error out with the message 'Socket timeout after 10
seconds' quite often.

When I manually connect ( telnet/curl) the URL the connection time is well
below 10 seconds.

Is the timeout parameter used to check the time it takes to establish a TCP
connection or to govern the time the check  took  to complete ?

Thanks

Sharad