Repeating failed notifications?

Andrew Miklas andrew at pagerduty.com
Wed Jun 2 21:51:58 CEST 2010

Hi,

Is there any way to get Nagios to repeat failed notifications?  In
other words, can Nagios be configured so that if a notification script
exits with a non-zero return value, the script will be run again after
a short interval?

For a bit of background, I'm working on a way to pass events from
Nagios to the PagerDuty alerting system (www.pagerduty.com).
PagerDuty collects events from external monitoring tools like Nagios
and sends out phone calls & SMSes based on user-provided schedules and
escalation chains.

Right now, people who want to use PagerDuty to deliver their Nagios
alerts must redirect their Nagios email to a PagerDuty-supplied email
address.  While this works reasonably well, we'd like to offer a
plugin so we can better integrate with Nagios.

I'm planning on doing this by writing a little Perl script that
invokes the PagerDuty HTTP API.  The script would be run as a Nagios
notification command.  One obvious downside to this approach is that
if there's a network problem, notifications will be lost, hence the
question above.

-- Andrew
(co-founder @ PagerDuty)