Service notification

Herb J. nagios at herb-j.com
Fri Jul 30 18:54:15 CEST 2010

Nagios won't do that. If I recall correctly, when the host check fails,
it refuses to generate any further service notifications for that host
until the host check succeeds again. It also won't generate service
recovery notifications when those services actually come back online either.

Our solution for that was to add a second host check (i.e., create a new
"define command" block) for devices that don't respond to PING. For
those devices, we configure them to use the new host check (i.e., use
the command you just created for that host's "check command" directive)
that checks HTTP status. I work at a web hosting company, so 100% of our
servers listen on either PING, HTTP, or FTP, so we have those three
choices for the host check. You will need to create another host check
(or two or three if necessary) that can be used for the devices that
don't respond to PING and configure those devices to use one of the
alternate host checks.