? on Distributed Server Config

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 22:38:12 CEST 2010

I was hoping to find some more detailed info on setting up nsca for distributed server config.  Anyone know of some documentation besides whats in the Nagios 3.x docs, either on line or book ?  I just seem to be missing the connection between the send_nsca plugin and the actual plugin running on the box I want to monitor from the central server.

Here is my issue:

I have my central server set up ( call it nagios1), 1 dist server with bare bones nagios set up & running on it ( call it nagiosdist1).  I have been able to send an nsca message to central server by running the following from a script :

#!/bin/bash
CFG="//usr/local/nagios/etc/send_nsca.cfg"
CMD="nagiosdist1;named;3;UNKNOWN - just an NSCA test"

/bin/echo $CMD | /usr/local/nagios/bin/send_nsca -H nagios1 -d ';' -c $CFG

So now that I have nsca communication, what I want to be able to do is this

using nsca from nagiosdist1, send check results from a linux pc to the central server.  I have all of the plugins on the linux pc and have successfully run the following from the command line from the nagiosdist1 server ( before I configured it as a nsca server)

     ./check_by_ssh -H IP_OF_LINUX_PC -C '/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load -w 5.0 -c 10.0' -q

I assume I should be able to run this with an nsca wrapper & get it up to the central server would t be as simple as this in the services.cfg on the dist server?

define service {

  host_name                  LINUX_PC

  service_description             Current Load via ssh

 check_command                   submit_check_result!check_ssh_load!5.0,4.0,3.
0!10.0,6.0,4.0

}

Thanks,

Steve