Nagios Services

Jeremy Gibbs jlgibbs at utica.edu
Fri Jul 16 21:56:08 CEST 2010

Hi.

This is a default check nagios has in it's config file for checking link
status on a switch.

define service{
        use                           generic-service
        host_name                DC-6509
        service_description     Port 1 Link Status
        check_command        check_snmp!-C onsite -o ifOperStatus.1 -r 1 -m
RFC1213-MIB
        }

It works fine

Where it says hostname, I would generally have to do this

 host_name               DC-6509, Switch-1, Switch-2, Switch-3, Switch-4,
switch-5

Now, as you can imagine, if I have multiple services I want to monitor, I
would rather have a group with all these hosts, Then I could do something
like...

hostgroups               switches

Then I wouldn't have so much work to do.

Is this passable?

--
Jeremy L. Gibbs
Systems Administrator