Error in configuration File..... Line 1 Null Value?

Scott Voll svoll.voip at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 19:06:35 CEST 2010

So I'm a first timer to Nagios.  Loved it at my old job, but I never managed
it.  Looks like I may be managing it at the new job.

I've read through install guides and Googled a lot.  Maybe it's something
easy I'm just not getting.

When I try and test the config I get:

[root at localhost bin]# sudo nagios /usr/bin/nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg

Nagios 2.9
Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 04-10-2007
License: GPL

Error in configuration file '/usr/bin/nagios' - Line 1 (NULL value)  <--
 Looks like the Nagios Program has an issue?????  or the config file?
Nagios 2.9 starting... (PID=17206)
Bailing out due to one or more errors encountered in the configuration
files.  Run Nagios from the command line with the -v option to verify your
config before restarting. (PID=17206)

I have double check that the files are there.  They are pointing in the
right directories, permissions seem to be set and and file access allowed.

Can someone give me a pointer in the right direction?

TIA

Scott