Nagios Freeze after Eventhandler execution

Harald Böhmecke harald.boehmecke at bertelsmann.de
Fri Jul 16 13:23:39 CEST 2010

Hi All,

Need help with an Eventhandler!

After Nagios (successfully) executes the eventhandler, no further checks
are done on any host. Nagios is like in a stopped or stalled state.

Here is my config. I actually took it from the manual:

define service {
        host_name                       blah
        service_description             NSCA
        use                             local_1m
        check_command                   check_tcp!5667
        event_handler                   handler_restart_nsca
        event_handler_enabled           1
        register                        1

        }
define command {
       command_name                             handler_restart_nsca

command_line                             /usr/share/nagios3/plugins/eventhandlers/restart-nsca  $SERVICESTATE$ $SERVICESTATETYPE$ $SERVICEATTEMPT$

}

/usr/share/nagios3/plugins/eventhandlers/restart-nsca

#!/bin/sh
#
# Event handler script for restarting the web server on the local
machine
#
# Note: This script will only restart the web server if the service is
#       retried 3 times (in a "soft" state) or if the web service
somehow
#       manages to fall into a "hard" error state.
#

# What state is the NSCA service in?
case "$1" in
OK)
	# The service just came back up, so don't do anything...
	;;
WARNING)
	# We don't really care about warning states, since the service is
probably still running...
	;;
UNKNOWN)
	# We don't know what might be causing an unknown error, so don't do
anything...
	;;
CRITICAL)
	# Aha!  The HTTP service appears to have a problem - perhaps we should
restart the server...

	# Is this a "soft" or a "hard" state?
	case "$2" in

	# We're in a "soft" state, meaning that Nagios is in the middle of
retrying the
	# check before it turns into a "hard" state and contacts get
notified...
	SOFT)

		# What check attempt are we on?  We don't want to restart the web
server on the first
		# check, because it may just be a fluke!
		case "$3" in

		# Wait until the check has been tried 3 times before restarting the
web server.
		# If the check fails on the 4th time (after we restart the web
server), the state
		# type will turn to "hard" and contacts will be notified of the
problem.
		# Hopefully this will restart the web server successfully, so the 4th
check will
		# result in a "soft" recovery.  If that happens no one gets notified
because we
		# fixed the problem!
		3)
			echo -n "Restarting NSCA service (3rd soft critical state)..."
			# Call the init script to restart the NSCA server
			/etc/init.d/nsca restart
			;;
			esac
		;;

	# The HTTP service somehow managed to turn into a hard error without
getting fixed.
	# It should have been restarted by the code above, but for some reason
it didn't.
	# Let's give it one last try, shall we?
	# Note: Contacts have already been notified of a problem with the
service at this
	# point (unless you disabled notifications for this service)
	HARD)
		echo -n "Restarting HTTP service..."
		# Call the init script to restart the NSCA server
		/etc/init.d/nsca restart
		;;
	esac
	;;
esac
exit 0

Mit freundlichem Gruß,

Harald Böhmecke

Network / Infrastructure Services
Informationstechnologie D-CSIT-ICS
arvato services
An der Autobahn
33310 Gütersloh

http://www.arvato-services.de
harald.milz at bertelsmann.de

Tel. +49 (0) 52 41 - 80-85660
Fax. +49 (0) 52 41 - 80-9391
Mobile +49 (0) 160-473-9965

arvato direct services GmbH: Sitz Gütersloh| Amtsgericht Gütersloh HRB
3826 | Geschäftsführer Ralf Bierfischer, Bodo Krönfeld, Markus
Schmedtmann, Eckhard Südmersen
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diese E-Mail und eventuelle Anlagen können vertrauliche und/oder
rechtlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie
nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und
vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte
Weitergabe dieser E-Mail sind nicht gestattet
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have
received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and
destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or
distribution of the material in this e-mail is forbidden.