NDO only processing some hosts

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Thu Jul 15 16:37:00 CEST 2010

Hi,

Greg Pangrazio wrote:
> max_timedevents_age=60

If you remove that from data_processing_options, it won't be used in the
future.

> max_systemcommands_age=90
> max_servicechecks_age=90
> max_hostchecks_age=90
> max_eventhandlers_age=1440

Quite low values, could be that the cleanup interferes with the inserts
(it's cyclic every 60 seconds), but that's just a minor thought.

Can you show me a

SQL> SELECT COUNT(*) AS CNT FROM nagios_objects;

and the summary count of your host and services for futher recommendations.

> data_processing_options=-1

Check on that. Do you really need all data or is it just for pulling
status data?
You might wanna check this nifty calculator too
http://labs.consol.de/lang/en/nagios/ndo-data-processing-options/

The first thing you won't ever need are the timed events. Icinga
IDOUtils sample configs have been patched in order to prevent timed
event data inserts by default.

  182 # The default setting will remove the TIMED_EVENT_DATA (67108863 - 2)
  183
  184 data_processing_options=67108861

If you consider far less than that, you might want to check the proposed
settings for NagVis (found somewhere at nagios-portal.org)

  186 # If you are planning to use NagVis you may want to use the
following setting:
  187 #
  188 #data_processing_options=4061953

But, this is the most common recommandation ;-)

  189 #
  190 # You may have to experiment in your environment and find the best
value yourself!

> NDO2DB 1.4b7

good. read the other thread about newer versions if interested.

Kind regards,
Michael

> Thanks,
> Greg Pangrazio
> pangrazi at gmail.com
>

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Michael Friedrich
> <michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at>  wrote:
>
>> Greg Pangrazio wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to limit which hosts get put into the NDO database?  My
>>> install is getting a bit big and NDO is taking up too much of the CPU
>>> and making the system sluggish.  If i turn of NDO it works fine.
>>>
>>> I use ndo for some custom pages for groups that do not have access to
>>> nagios and only need to check like 80 services and 40 hosts for those
>>> pages and the other 800 hosts and 3000 services don't need to be in
>>> the database.
>>>
>>> Maybe I am missing some NDO optimizations too?
>>>

>> egrep -v "^#|^%" ndo2db.cfg
>> egrep -v "^#|^%" ndomod.cfg
>>
>> version?
>>
>> and consider like mentioned setting data processing options, and the
>> data trimming options.
>>

>>> The hardware is a dual quad core Xeon 2.5Ghz with 56GB ram so I should
>>> not be having any problems.
>>>

>> normally I/O problems if the RDBMS is on the same host.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Michael
>>

>> --
>> DI (FH) Michael Friedrich
>> michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
>> Tel: +43 1 4277 14359
>>
>> Vienna University Computer Center
>> Universitaetsstrasse 7 A-1010 Vienna, Austria

>> ::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any issue.

DI (FH) Michael Friedrich
michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tel: +43 1 4277 14359

Vienna University Computer Center