using multiple templates

Paul M Dubuc work at paul.dubuc.org
Sat Jul 10 17:39:52 CEST 2010

Litwin, Matthew wrote:
> Are there any consequences to using multiple templates other than that the last one defined gets precedence? I would like to have sevice templates the do things like define notifications interval separately from escalation path,  time periods etc....
>
> I was thinking of ending up with something like this:
>
> define{
> 	name	some_services
> 	use		an_escalation_template
> 	use		a_notification_template
> 	use	an_action_template
> 	}
>
> Assuming there is no collisions in namespace, this should work, right?

Have you tried it?  I don't know if separate 'use' directives work.  I
use a comma separated list with one 'use' directive:

use an_escalation_template,a_notification_template,an_action_template

Remember that the order is important.  Anything defined in the first
template takes precedence.  See "Multiple Inheritance Sources" here for
more details:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectinheritance.html