Running Nagios on Vmware

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Thu Jul 8 16:18:38 CEST 2010

> Is anyone aware of documentation or test cases showing whether or not
> running Nagios on VMware is a good idea?  I realize the common opinion is
> that it is a bad idea due to I/O but I am looking for something a bit more
> in depth.

I would also be interested in seeing some more detailed information.
I hear it again and again on the lists that it's bad, but I've been
running my production Nagios server on an ESX VM for 6 months and
the performance is actually better than running it on a comparable
physical box.

And yes, I understand the flaws in running a monitoring system on
a resource that I'm monitoring.  :)  It's simply *much* more cost
effective and easier administratively for me to run on a VM.  I
would prefer a physical box myself, just to not have that set of
dependencies.

A few numbers:

* ESX VM running on our production ESX clusters:

     2 x CPU, 2GB RAM, usually about ~ 2s host and service latency

* Physical box:

     1 x CPU (4 cores), 2GB RAM, usually about ~ 50s host and service
     latency

I ran that way for three weeks testing, and the performance on the
physical box was much, much worse.

Benny

--
"Well, we *could* hunt down the perpetrÚ