Are NSClient++ and NRPE mutually exclusive?

dave stern - e-mail.pluribus.unum dit.dash at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 18:20:08 CEST 2010

I've got NSClient++ installed on a number of Windows XP and
W2K servers reporting on such things as disk utilization, memory,
load. This all works fine. I'd like to take it to the next level defining
my own external scripts. But the examples all show using the
command, check_nrpe on the linux/nagios side.

Can't they be run under check_nt
(something like $USER1$/check_nt -p 12489 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -s mysecret
-v check_something)
Or must I also install check_nrpe on the linux side? And if so, do I need
to install the windows nrpe as well?

On the Windows side, the config file is basically the default with the
following additions to the
"[External Scripts]" section:

check_something=C:\myscripts\check_something.vbs
check_test=C:\myscripts\psloggedon.exe

TIA