Change max_concurrent_checks for a service?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Jul 6 17:55:42 CEST 2010

On 07/06/2010 05:48 PM, Jim Avery wrote:
> On 6 July 2010 10:25, Andreas Ericsson<ae at op5.se>  wrote:
>> On 07/05/2010 05:44 PM, Daniel E. Strezov wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to find out a way to change the max_concurrent_checks
>>> parameter, but just for one particular service. The reason I need this
>>> is that this service checks the available bandwidth to a remote host by
>>> generating traffic for some given time. Running many service checks at
>>> the same time will cause the 100Mbps interface of the monitoring server
>>> to get jammed. These traffic checks run daily in a 2-hours window with
>>> 30 mins check period and under normal circumstances each of them takes
>>> about 10 secs.
>>>

>> You want to set the parallellize_check variable to 0 for that particular
>> check. That will cause nagios to ensure that no other checks are running
>> at the same time, hogging the bandwidth you're trying to test.
>

> I think the parallelize_check directive for services is deprecated in Nagios 3.

It isn't, and probably never will be.

> Even if it does still work in version 3 Nagios, I would question
> whether it is desireable to have Nagios not run any other checks at
> all for ten whole seconds while one of these checks is run, especially
> if there are quite a few of them.

Well, if you want to do a hard test on available bandwidth you really
have to send a lot of data. Contaminating the result of one test with
data from other tests running at the same time makes this particular
test completely useless.

So either scrap that check, make it non-parallellizable, or just live
with the fact that the results of it may be contaminated.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.