NRPE: No output returned from plugin error

yuris yuris at smtp.com
Thu Jul 1 12:40:30 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I have this weird trouble with getting nrpe agents work. My nagios
server hosts on Debian box while agents on Debian and Centos (all
installed from official binary packages) and the problem is check_nrpe
always returns this "NRPE: No output returned from plugin" error when I
check NRPE on any Centos host and this is true with all plugins - all of
them does not return anything. I turned on debug at one Centos host but
still it does not show me anything, when I run from nagios host:

./check_nrpe -H centos.host.com -c check_load

I always get "NRPE: Unable to read output" and there is nothing in
syslog at agent's host in spite of debug is on.

My assumption was that command definitions on Centos host side use path
to plugins that is different from Debian, for example:

command[check_load]="/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c
30,25,20" [Debian host]
command[check_load]="/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c
30,25,20" [Centos host]

but I made symbolic link so that plugins could be called by the same
path - it didn't help. When I run command locally, all works just fine:

su nrpe -c "/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c 30,25,20"
OK - load average: 1.28, 0.97, 0.97|load1=1.280;15.000;30.000;0;
load5=0.970;10.000;25.000;0; load15=0.970;5.000;20.000;0;

while from nagios server:

./check_nrpe -H centos.host.com -c check_load
NRPE: Unable to read output

The weird part of it is that all plugins work fine on debian hosts.
Nagios uses the same host, service and command definitions for all
monitored hosts (both debian and centos) and I really wonder what's
wrong with centos nrpe agents :/

If anyone have any ideas, please try to help.

P.S. I use Nagios server v.3 (from Debian lenny) and Nrpe agents
versions are the same on Debian and Centos (v.2.12).

--
best regards,
Yuris