Nagios 30 seconds initial delay

Ton Voon ton.voon at opsera.com
Thu Jan 28 10:01:50 CET 2010

On 17 Dec 2009, at 08:12, Brandino Andreas wrote:

> I have much less hosts and services (for the moment).
> After deleting "retention.dat" I still face the same delay...

When did this slow down occur? I can see how Jonathan's patches speed
up the system but these look like long-term bottlenecks, not a 3.0 ->
3.2 migration. I'm interested to know when the slowdown occurred and
if it is the side effect of something else.

There was a patch applied sometime in 3.1 which improved the circular
parents lookup, but I don't know much else (Andreas applied it but
didn't update the Changelog).

Some information from a "slow startup system" and a "fast startup
system":
   * how do you define the startup time? (time from nagios start to
status.dat appearing?)
   * which version of Nagios?
   * size of system (number of hosts, services, comments, downtimes)
   * broker modules you use
   * nagios -s nagios.cfg - what does the timings tell you?

Ton