Help with check_jmx

dOE doepain at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 20:55:30 CET 2010

I am trying to use the "check_jmx but every time I execute the command below

./check_jmx -U service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://HOSTNAME:6100/jmxrmi -O
com.ocs.framework.schedule:type=BackgroundJobMonitor -A SchedulerStatus

I know what I know because we use jManage which is another open source
utility to probe JMX with..

My guess is this "check_jmx" can only return integers, and is not able to
return word strings.

sudo ./check_jmx -U
service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://ocstestptcweb22:6100/jmxrmi -O
com.ocs.framework.schedule:type=BackgroundJobMonitor -A SchedulerStatus -K 0
-I 0 -J 0 -vvvv
JMX CRITICAL For input string: "INACTIVE" connecting to
com.ocs.framework.schedule:type=BackgroundJobMonitor by URL
service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://HOSTNAME:6100/jmxrmijava.lang.NumberFormatException:
For input string: "*INACTIVE*"
        at
java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java:410)
        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java:468)
        at org.nagios.JMXQuery.parseData(JMXQuery.java:212)
        at org.nagios.JMXQuery.execute(JMXQuery.java:191)
        at org.nagios.JMXQuery.main(JMXQuery.java:76)

The check is for background jobs running on the application server.  These
background jobs can be set to either ACTIVE or INACTIVE.  What is strange to
me is that it is getting the INACTIVE from the object
(com.app.framework.schedule:type=BackgroundJobMonitor) without me
specifying, but how do I specify ACTIVE , so that I can get the status of
active background jobs that are running.

I understand if this question is beyond the scope of this mailing-list.