Using Unix groupnames in contact definitions or cgi authorization schemes

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Tue Jan 26 17:23:04 CET 2010

Mark Elsen wrote:
>  - I was wondering wether one can use UNIX groupnames in contact
> defintions , or in cgi auth. directives
> such as 'authorized_for_all_service_commands=..." ; instead of having
> to use individual usernames ?
>
> I need to make a simple distinction between a couple of divisions,
> regarding nagios access and
> server monitoring in our company. Using individual usernames would be
> cumbersome w.r.t  the simple
> allowed views I want to use in the NAGIOS (console).

The only way to pull this off, really, is to define contactgroups in
Nagios that match your Unix groups.  Since Nagios does not deal with
Unix users and groups directly, you'd need something like a script that
generated Nagios configs from your account information.

In our case here, that's relatively trivial. A simple script can go out
and pull a group and its members from LDAP and reformat that information
into a Nagios config. I suppose it wouldn't be much harder to do it with
local accounts, if we had a script to parse the group information from
the passwd and group files.

So I guess the short answer is no, Nagios doesn't know how to deal with
Unix account info directly, but that doesn't mean you can't do what
you're trying to do.