n00b trying to set up on freebsd

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 20:51:51 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 20:03, Scott Lambert <lambert at lambertfam.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 04:19:58PM -0800, Kurt Buff wrote:
>> Forgot to mention: When I get the directory listing, there is no auth
>> taking place - I don't get asked for a username or password.
>
> You don't get asked for a password due to the Allow of your IP address.
>
> What does the directory list?  Is there an index.something file?
>
> If so, you probably don't have the index.something listed in your
> DirectoryIndexes statement.  You may need to install PHP and configure
> Apache to use it.

Once more into the breach...

I've got the php issue solved, so the site is showing up just fine.

Using lynx on localhost, I get prompted for a login to nagios and get
to the home page and subsidiary pages just fine, but from FF on a
remote box I get no login prompt, and the home page just comes up, and
it shows as me being logged in as nagiosadmin for any of the pages I
then select. While this works, it's a bit insecure.

I'd like to set it up so that 1) we get prompted for login and 2) only
logins from authorized subnets are allowed, though if I can only have
one, I'll take a login prompt. Below is the snippet of httpd.conf for
nagios. I was terribly unsuccessful trying to 'Deny from all' and then
specify, for instance, 'Allow from 192.168.24.0/24'.

My google-fu is weak, and other's expertise is desired. If I need to
provide any further information, I'll be happy to provide it.

Kurt

---------- begin snippet of httpd.conf----------
<Directory "/usr/local/www/nagios">
  Options None
  AllowOverride None
  Order deny,allow
  Allow from all
  AuthName "Nagios Access"
  AuthType Basic
  AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/nagios/htpasswd.users
  Require valid-user
  php_flag engine on
  php_admin_value open_basedir /usr/local/www/nagios/:/var/spool/nagios/
</Directory>

<Directory "/usr/local/www/nagios/cgi-bin">
  Options ExecCGI
  AllowOverride None
  Order allow,deny
---------- end snippet of httpd.conf----------