Overloaded master

Mike Lindsey mike-nagios at 5dninja.net
Sat Jan 23 00:13:06 CET 2010

What kind of options does one have, if your master nagios server is
getting overloaded?

I have half a dozen slaves doing polling, submitting passive check
results back via send_nsca.  The master does no active polling, just
event processing, notifications, and web ui.

Under normal circumstances, it works alright.  But after a restart it
can take up to half an hour before the master catches up; and if there
are a lot of events, the act of sending out notifications can cause it
to fall behind.

I'm pre-caching my object file, I'm skipping circular dependency checks,
and I've gotten a notification cycle down to 9 seconds.  I tried
modifying nagios to fork before notifications, but that failed pretty
spectacularly; so that 9 seconds is a time where 900 or so passive check
submissions block until the notifications are done.

Are there any options for running a dual-master setup, or other ways to
spread the load across multiple machines?

Has anyone patched nsca to submit check results into the checkresults
directory, instead of via the nagios.cmd pipe?  What kind of improvement
can one expect from that?

Any other advice?

--
Mike Lindsey