removing and installing nagios

Terry L. Inzauro tinzauro at ha-solutions.net
Fri Jan 22 22:53:13 CET 2010

On 01/22/2010 02:39 PM, liyas m wrote:
> i use apt-get remove nagios-text and apt-get remove --purge nagios-text
> but still does not work
> the old version 1.3 is still there.
>

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Assaf Flatto <nagios at flatto.net
> <mailto:nagios at flatto.net>> wrote:
>
>     liyas m wrote:
>     > DEar all,
>     >
>     >  I have installed nagios 3.2 on my server for student project and
>     >  everything worked fine until i run apt-get nagios-text. After
>     that the
>     > version appeared on the server is Nagios 1.3 not 3.2 which is very
>     >  strange. I tried to reinstalled but still the old version appear
>     >  although the engine shown by nagios -c is 3.2
>     >
>     >  Nagios Core 3.2.0
>     >  Copyright (c) 2009 Nagios Core Development Team and Community
>     > Contributors
>     >  Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Ethan Galstad
>     >  Last Modified: 08-12-2009
>     >  License: GPL
>     >
>     >  How do I remove the old version ? Thank you for your help.
>     >
>     >  Regards,
>     > Liyas
>     if you installed with apt - you can try apt-get purge nagios-text .
>     that will remove the package installed .
>     As for returning to  the source installed software - you might have to
>     rerun the configure / make process to make sure the newer files are
>     installed and used .
>
>     or you can use the blunt force method and rm every file related to
>     nagios - but i wouldn't recommend it  , only as a last resort .
>
>     Assaf

If, by helping you, are we enabling you to cheat? If the answer is yes, you had better stop reading this and figure out your
issue on your own (by reading the apt docs...hint...hint)

What OS/version is this?

-----------------------------
If the OS is Debian Lenny (This may/may not work in Ubuntu):
-----------------------------

Fist find which nagios packages are installed. Install apt-show-versions.  I recommend using aptitude has it has greater
package dependency handling abilities and saftey guards.

[15:27:28 root at jenna:~]# aptitude install apt-show-versions

Second, invoke apt-show-versions and parse the output using grep.

[15:29:28 root at jenna:~]# apt-show-versions  | grep nagios
nagios-images/lenny uptodate 0.4
nagios-nrpe-plugin/lenny uptodate 2.12-1
nagios-plugins/lenny uptodate 1.4.12-5
nagios-plugins-basic/lenny uptodate 1.4.12-5
nagios-plugins-standard/lenny uptodate 1.4.12-5
nagios3/lenny uptodate 3.0.6-4~lenny2
nagios3-common/lenny uptodate 3.0.6-4~lenny2
nagios3-doc/lenny uptodate 3.0.6-4~lenny2
[15:29:33 root at jenna:~]#

The first string is the package name to use as an argument to `aptitude remove --purge`.  I recommend you start from scratch
and remove ALL nagios packages to help quell confusion.

If I wanted to only remove the nagios core package(s) (and purge configuration files) I would invoke aptitude like this:

[15:29:33 root at jenna:~]# aptitude remove --purge nagios3 nagios3-common

If I wanted to save the configuration files, I would omit the --purge switch.

If, you are like me and are short tempered, you can invoke aptitude with more than one task. Such as the following.

[15:29:33 root at jenna:~]# aptitude remove --purge nagios3 nagios3-common nagios2+

This command will remove (and purge) nagios3 and nagios3-common. Then it will install nagios2 thuns accomplishing a
downgrade.  Obviously, this command isn't what you want, but I decided to show it for informational purposes.

hope this helps.

Terry
http://ha-solutions.net
--