Multiple NRPE Processes

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jan 21 14:02:37 CET 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 12:18 AM, Litwin, Matthew wrote:

> In solaris it is critical that you run nrpe on solaris in daemon mode.

That's a strong statement. Why? I don't recall hearing of problems running it out of inetd and doing so seems to be fairly common.

> Running it like this you should be able to kill it without a problem as it will maintain the pid. Make sure in nrpe.cfg that the nrpe user can write its pid where specified. If you look in syslog you should see details about how it starts.

The OP's apparent 'problem' is not that he wants to kill child processes hanging out in the process table but rather socket connections that he sees using netstat that the OS is keeping in a TIME_WAIT state. These would be normal except for  'hanging around indefinitely'. Pending further developments from the OP, this would appear to be an OS TCP stack issue since NRPE is not involved in removing those.

--
Marc