Parent /child issues

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jan 15 15:34:06 CET 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Assaf Flatto wrote:

> Hello
> I have come up with an issue I have not encountered in previous versions
> of nagios ( the issue is on 3.20 from source on SLES 10.2 64 bits ).
>
> I am trying to map a parent child relationships that match my physical
> network ( host connected to switch), and I am getting this error  SWITCH
> is not a valid parent for host 'HOST'!

hm. The code bit that generates this error is --

                /* check all parent parent host */
                for(temp_hostsmember=temp_host->parent_hosts;temp_hostsmember!=NULL;temp_hostsmember=temp_hostsmember->next){

                        if((temp_host2=find_host(temp_hostsmember->host_name))==NULL){
                                logit(NSLOG_VERIFICATION_ERROR,TRUE,"Error: '%s' is not a valid parent for host '%s'!",temp_hostsmember->host_name,temp_host->name);

I read this to indicate that the parents name you've specified (SWITCH) doesn't have a valid host{} definition (i.e. doesn't exist). I could very easily be reading this wrong though.

> Both HOST and SWITCH are on the same logical network ( 10.0.8.x ) , and
> from the manual it implies that since they are on the same subnet the
> definition i with to present is no longer valid in nagios (although it
> used to be in older versions).

Not sure what you're reading here (reference?) but Nagios has no understanding of addressing or subnets. It wouldn't know or care if they were on the same subnet. It must be something else.

--
Marc