Checking DHCP

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jan 14 15:12:52 CET 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 7:33 AM, Eduardo Barreto wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Does anybody knows or have a clue on how to check a dhcp server, I've tried direct no success and then I'm trying to monitor it through nrpe.
> I'll appreciate any help

There's a check_dhcp plugin in the standard plugins to verify that a DHCP server his handing out leases. You need to run it from a host on the LAN that your DHCP server answers on. In most cases you cannot run this plugin on the DHCP server itself as they are most often configured *not* to give answers to themselves. If you're limited to running something on the DHCP server itself, you'll likely only be able to look to see if the DHCP process/service is running. How that's done depends on the OS of the server and how you can get to it from the Nagios machine.

--
Marc