What this message means

Max Hetrick maxhetrick at verizon.net
Tue Jan 12 17:35:07 CET 2010

ReynierPM wrote:
> Hi every:
> Today I get this message from one of my checked hosts: "Notifications
> for this host are being suppressed because it was detected as having
> been flapping between different states (24.2% change > 20.0% threshold).
> When the host state stabilizes and the flapping stops, notifications
> will be re-enabled."
>
> What this means? What I need to check on this host?

Flapping is some built in logic to Nagios that prevents a barrage of
notifications of hosts/services up and down messages.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/flapping.html

So if a host keeps coming up, and then down, and then up, and then down,
notfications are suppressed to prevent a load of messages.

You can disable this feature if you want globally by setting in the
nagios.cfg file.

enable_flap_detection={0,1}

A lot of times, if a host is flapping, it might not be the actual host
that has a problem, perhaps it's a switch, or some other piece of
equipment in between. It does have its uses.

Regards,
Max