question about running Nagios on Solaris LDom and Zone servers

Scott, Ewan EWScott at scotborders.gov.uk
Tue Jan 12 11:41:07 CET 2010

Thanks for this. I have not decided on exactly what I'll monitor as I'm still installing the clients and making sure the the basic infrastucture works. However in outline:

1. I intend to use nrpe for the checks.
2. I would envisage 5-6 basic checks on the host primary LDom servers (4) and primary Zone servers (2).
3. I would expect to run up to 10 nrpe checks on each of the guest LDoms and Zones (25 systems).

I would see that as a small system with lightweight checking but would appreciate comments if anyone thinks otherwise.

Further down the line I'd like to add in 80+ Windows VM systems at which point it would become a very differnet  beast. Currently I'm running the Nagios server on Ubuntu on an old Dell PowerEdge 1850 but had thought of moving it over to a VMware virtual box as it grows. From what you are saying you think I'd run into problems with Nagios on a VM like this and I'd be better keeping it on an - adequately powered - standalone physical box?

Regards
Ewan

Version info:
Nagios core: 3.2