Setting up email notification

xmanhosting anthony at xmanhosting.com.au
Fri Jan 8 03:56:54 CET 2010

Hello,

I am trying to set up email notification.

In my contacts.cfg file I have

define contact{
contact_name                    nagiosadmin
 use    generic-contact  ; Inherit default values from generic-contact
template (defined above)
alias                           Nagios Admin  ; Full name of user
email                            <mailto:anthony at xmanhosting.com.au>
anthony at xmanhosting.com.au ; <<***** CHANGE THIS TO YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS
******
        }

and then I have tried to add the contact to a host (switch.cfg):

define host{
 use  generic-switch  ; Inherit default values from a template
 host_name Billion  ; The name we're giving to this switch
 alias  Billion 7401 ; A longer name associated with the switch
 address  192.168.1.254  ; IP address of the switch
 hostgroups switches  ; Host groups this switch is associated with
  contact         nagiosadmin
 }

however when I run:

/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

I get:
Processing object config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/switch.cfg'...
Error: Invalid host object directive 'contact'.
Error: Could not add object property in file
'/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/switch.cfg' on line 30.
Error processing object config files!

Is someone able to assist me to get notifications working?
Thanks for any help
Kind regards,
Anthony