[Nagiosplug-help] check_interval threshold

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jan 7 17:17:45 CET 2010

Please always respond on-list so that others now, and in the future, learn from your experience. More below...

On Jan 7, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Khan, Tony (A&E) wrote:

> Thank you so much for your help Marc.
>
> My Service definition setting looks like this, should I just add '
> interval_length 1' under check_period?

interval_length is set in nagios.cfg and affects *all* intervals defined in *all* host{}, service{}, contact{} definitions, etc.  See my prior e-mail about this. For those intervals that you do not want to change, you'll need to increase their values relative to how much you decreased the interval_length.

interval_length is the basic unit for all time based operations in nagios and is measured in seconds.

For example, if interval_length = 60 and you have 'normal_check_interval   1' in a service definition, that service will be checked every 60 seconds (interval_length * normal_check_interval).
If you set interval_length = 1 and you have 'normal_check_interval 1', that service will now be checked every 1 second. To check it every 60 seconds, you'd need to change it to  'normal_check_interval 60'
If you set interval_length = 1 and you want to check a service every 5 minutes, you'll need to set 'normal_check_interval 300' (5 minutes == 300 seconds)

--
Marc