Cisco Aironet 1200 AccessPoints

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jan 7 15:04:22 CET 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 3:23 AM, Richard Gliebe wrote:

> IF-MIB::ifOutOctets.1 = Counter32: 1384984421
> this output is always growing and not a real time statistic.

Sure it's real time. It's total octets sent from reboot until the moment you've read it. ;)

> I want to monitor maybe the 5 minute input and output rates from the
> Dot11Radio0 interface like the 'show interface Dot11Radio0' output.

>   5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
>   5 minute output rate 1236000 bits/sec, 124 packets/sec
>
> Or something similar like mrtg outputs (input an output rates in realtime).
>
> I can't find the right OID, so does anyone know these OIDs?

There isn't one; it's not exposed by SNMP. ifOutOctets above is all you have to work with. MRTG is performing the calculation itself when the value from ifOutOctets/ifInOctets is retrieved/stored.

> Or do I have to calculate it by myself?

Yes. You'll want to be cognizant of counter re-sets, counter roll-overs and the fact that the OID index for that specific interface may change on reboot so that you don't get strange results. You'll need to read current value, compare with saved previous value/timestamp, save current value/timestamp, repeat at next run. You could also look for an existing plugin that suits your needs instead. You're not the first to want to do this. look for

check_traffic
check_snmp_cisco_traffic
check_iftraffic.pl

Check http://exchange.nagios.org or google for combinations of nagios check snmp, traffic, cisco, interface.