nsca results don't reach nagios

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jan 6 17:38:55 CET 2010

Hi Pankaj. Please always respond on-list so that others learn and benefit from your experience. More below --

On Jan 6, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Pankaj wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:
>
> On Jan 6, 2010, at 8:10 AM, Pankaj wrote:
>
> > > cat /var/lib/nagios3/rw/nagios.cmd
> > >[1262786818] PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;localhost;TestMessage;1;Service in warning state
>
> By doing this, you've removed it from the pipe and there's no possibility for nagios to see it at all.
>
> This file did not exist ... so I touched it. Does it need to be a named pipe?

Yes and must be created by nagios. I suspected this was your problem. Remove the file you've created.

> value of check_external_commands?
>
>  log_external_commands=1

That's not what I asked for ;) check_external_commands must be set to 1. I'll bet it's 0. Enabling this causes nagios to create the external command pipe (nagios.cmd) and watch for input there (including passive check results which are external commands).

--
Marc