improving the 300 second resolution nagiosgraph

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jan 5 15:10:00 CET 2010

On Jan 5, 2010, at 7:40 AM, Eric Emerson wrote:

> I had the opposite problem a while back (checks which only ran every 30 minutes making the grahps really choppy.
> You can change the heartbeat value in nagiosgraph.conf which controls the --step for rrdcreate

This is very different functionality, but may appear to be be the same effect in your case. It absolutely does not affect the step value. Heartbeat essentially specifies how much time can be missed before a value is considered to be unknown. It's also set per datasource whereas step applies universally to the entire rrd database (which may contain multiple datasources). Think of the steps as a bunch of buckets in a line. You walk along the line placing something in each bucket (value at each step). If you skip one, rrdtool is smart enough to guess what you would have put in it based on what's in the bucket before it and the bucket after it and your consolidation functions (AVERAGE, MAX, MIN, etc). The heartbeat determines how many buckets (steps) you can skip in a row before rrdtool will g
 ive up on guessing what would have been in them and just assume they were empty.

--
Marc