improving the 300 second resolution nagiosgraph

Litwin, Matthew mlitwin at stubhub.com
Tue Jan 5 01:37:20 CET 2010

I need some assistance with nagiosgraph, specifically with how it handles RRD data.

I am finding that there is a 300 second resolution limitation with nagiosgraph and how it uses rrdtool. I see the 300 second resolution clearly in the graphs themselves (regardless of how much I "zoom") which also correlates to the head of the output of 'rrdtool dump' for any of the RRD files nagiosgrah has created:

	<step> 300 </step> <!-- Seconds -->
	<lastupdate> 1262647468 </lastupdate> <!-- 2010-01-04 23:24:28 UTC -->

	<ds>
		<name> errors </name>
		<type> GAUGE </type>
		<minimal_heartbeat> 60 </minimal_heartbeat>
		<min> NaN </min>
		<max> NaN </max>

		<!-- PDP Status -->
		<last_ds> 0 </last_ds>
		<value> 6.0000000000e+01 </value>
		<unknown_sec> 0 </unknown_sec>
	</ds>

The problem with this is that I have monitors the run every 60 seconds and the lack of precision is excessively smoothing the graphs to the point of them being useless.

My question is two-fold:
1) Where is this "step" period of 300 seconds specified in nagiosgraph?
2) If I were to globally change the "step" period in nagiosgraph from 300 seconds to 60 seconds is there some way that I can keep my existing RRD data or would it become corrupted if I tried to change this?

Thanks,
Matthew Litwin
mlitwin at stubhub.com
415.222.8475