parent/child relationship in distribute environment

HyunSung Jang hsjang at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 18:47:40 CET 2010

> Nope, it should be as follows (example  parent  -> child )
> nagios2 -> A2 -> BB1 - Server 3

I'm getting confusing. sorry for misunderstanding
at this time, I read nagios documentation again and in my understanding that
nagios2 is connected to A1 not A2.
all of my nagios servers are connected to A1.

so how can A2 be a parent for nagios2 ?
and Server3 also connected to A2 not BB1 directly.

> and A2 and BB1 should be hosts defined in nagios2 , to match the parent
> tree.

is this means distributed nagios server must have all of hosts(it mean
switch like A2, BB1) definition
 to match the parent tree??
what i really wanted to do was separate the hosts definitions to each
distributed nagios servers.

all switches goes to nagios1,
server group1 goes to nagios2,
server group2 goes to nagios3...etc.
because i didn't want to duplicate the host definition.

please look at my topology here.

http://yfrog.com/1etopologyj

from my topology, nagios1 checks server1, server2 directly
then who should be a parent for server1, server2 from view of nagios1??
i thought that would be "A2" and BB1 is parent of A2 and A1 is parent of BB1
and nagios1 is parent of A1.
this is same parent/child relationship for Nagios Central server.
that means i have to duplicate object configuration or maintain same config
file to central server and distribute server

when i started with same cfg file to central and monitor server, it works
fine
but there are duplicated host check occured to the same host from central
and distributed sever.
do we need to host check enable in distributed server too??