NRPE/NSCA replacement thoughts?

Fri Feb 19 19:11:52 CET 2010

I am risking the life of an innocent equine by flogging when I respond...

I know, but it's really an unusual configuration (I was going to say "nonstandard" but technically speaking it is in the RFC).

> net-snmp [2] can do that without implementing SSL tunnel or other kind
> of solution. With SNMP v3, you can use authentication and encryption.

It seems to me that SNMP v3 is not even in the running due to performance concerns; pretty much everybody in this discussion seems to have agreed on that point (and for me also, because of a lack of support by vendors; Microsoft, in particular).

> I'm not saying SNMP is a good solution but provides all security
> needed.
>
> Finally, SSH is cloud be the best way to execute remote plugins.

Personally, I'm not sure if there is a single "best way". That is why I keep promoting separating the protocol from the transport. Basically, Nagios protocol data fits into Layer 6 or 7 of the OSI model, while the encryption and authentication really should be handled by layer 4 or 5.

SSH really is a good way, but in many scenarios HTTPS may be even better.