service notification when host is down

Samuel Bancal sam.bancal at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 11:27:10 CET 2010

Yes I agree...

But, I do export to a third application the service's perfdata. (using
service_perfdata_file* instructions of Nagios).

That third application is extracting from it whether services are up or down
and doing some actions in consequence.
This behavior is a problem to me because of two facts :
- The third application is aware of a problem before the timing I expect it
to be. (normally should be around "max_check_attempts * retry_check_interval
")
- The administrator may not receive e-mail notification if the host is up
again before the host gets "CRITICAL HARD". And the information has passed
to that third application anyway!

Hope you understand a bit more the inconsistency.

Samuel Bancal

2010/2/18 Marc Powell <marc at ena.com>

> On Feb 18, 2010, at 3:47 AM, Samuel Bancal wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your answer,
> >
> > In fact it is normal behavior to me also.
> > Thing that is not "normal behavior" to me is that between two checks,
> Nagios jumps from "SOFT 1" to "HARD 1" without doing the steps "SOFT 1" >
> "SOFT 2" > "SOFT 3" and finally "HARD 4".
>
> If the host is down, why should nagios go through all that? There's no
> possibility for the service to be up when the host is not.
>
> --
> Marc

> reporting any issue.

Samuel Bancal - CH