NRPE/NSCA replacement thoughts?

Michael Medin michael at medin.name
Fri Feb 19 10:15:01 CET 2010

On 2010-02-19 09:07, Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:

> Go for SNMP. This is the ONLY standard for vendor independent managment of
> devices. Nearly all devices support it. And I really doubt that you will be
> able to implement your agent on a Cisco IOS or a Check Point firewall
> appliance.

Interesting point.
Yet strangely enough most people who uses nagios (or for that matter
other monitoring tools) uses various "other protocol" like wbem, ssh,
nrpe, nsca, etc etc.
So is that because they have "yet to see the light" or because the
(SNMP) clients are lacking something?
Or is it because of limitations in the SNMP protocol? (I was under the
impression that the efforts of WBEM was to fix various issues with SNMP?).

// Michael Medin