NRPE/NSCA replacement thoughts?

Michael Medin michael at medin.name
Fri Feb 19 08:18:57 CET 2010

On 2010-02-19 07:35, Kevin Keane wrote:

>> Well, the main reason is that they have a number of limitations which I
>> need to resolve and after speaking with Ethan about it I got the
>> impression he would not be updating NRPE/NSCA any more (for instance
>> Ton Voon has some patches to handle payload size which has not been
>> applied). He would (or so I gathered) rather have a new replacement
>> client(s).
>>
> Client? Or protocol?

protocol (NRPE and NSCA has fixed limits on data length, Ton extended
the protocol with an additional "packet type" that was "more data".

>> Also I tend to write programs in C++ and not C which sort of means it
>> is simpler for me to re-write them.
>>
> That really isn't a good reason to throw out the investment thousands of people have made in a working NRPE/NSCA infrastructure! When the next developer comes into the project and likes Java, are we going to get yet another protocol? What if somebody wants to write a client for a new platform - does it have to be in C++?

Uhmm... I am talking about a protocol here, so feel free to implement a
client in brainf*ck if you like...
> Now don't get me wrong: I actually agree that there are good reasons to update or even replace the protocol. But I'm quite concerned about the motivation, and the end result that would come from it.

Well, in this case my "motivation" is pure and simple self interest... I
have no noble ideas about "helping the nagios community".
I need a new protocol, I will write one... pure and simple...
I just figured I would get some insight into what to think about whilst
doing it...

// Michael Medin