NRPE/NSCA replacement thoughts?

Michael Medin michael at medin.name
Fri Feb 19 07:04:41 CET 2010

On 2010-02-19 05:22, Morris, Patrick wrote:
> Michael Medin wrote:
>> Hello
>>

>> Multiple streams?
>> ie  send to both Nagios and potentially other collectors (like rrd)
>>

> For what it's worth, I'm pretty happy with NSCA and NRPE as-is, though
> I'd be interested to hear your motivation for replacing them
> (especially the resons for replacing them outright instead of
> extending the existing apps).

Well, the main reason is that they have a number of limitations which I
need to resolve and after speaking with Ethan about it I got the
impression he would not be updating NRPE/NSCA any more (for instance Ton
Voon has some patches to handle payload size which has not been
applied). He would (or so I gathered) rather have a new replacement
client(s).
Also I tend to write programs in C++ and not C which sort of means it is
simpler for me to re-write them.

// Michael Medin