Fwd: Problem with recovery notification

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Thu Feb 18 09:31:13 CET 2010

samuel.mutel at free.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Anybody ?
> I don't understand the Hard and soft logic in Service Alert of server 1 :
>
> CRITICAL;SOFT;1
> CRITICAL;SOFT;2
> CRITICAL;HARD;3
> CRITICAL;SOFT;1
>
> => Why I don't have after CRITICAL;HARD;3 and before CRITICAL;SOFT;1 : OK;HARD;3.
>
> Questions :
>   1) The flapping mode can explain this behaviour ?
>   2) If the node is down the service state (hard or soft) is set to soft ?

Flap detection only inhibits notifications.  It would not effect
hard/soft states.

Several things could cause this, but it appears you've stripped all
context out of the logs.  Was Nagios restarted between the "

CRITICAL;HARD;3" and the "CRITICAL;SOFT;1," maybe? Im not 100% sure, but the service state count may also be reset (I'd be a bit surprised if it isn't) if the host is determined to be down.