MACRO PROBLEM

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Thu Feb 18 08:48:08 CET 2010

Morris, Patrick wrote:
> Khurram Malik wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am using Nagios 3.0.6 and in an integration project i want Nagios to
>> send alerts to Netcool. I am using Host/Service Global Event Handlers.
>> I am able to get the maximum information via the following macros
>>
>> $SERVICESTATE$ $SERVICESTATETYPE$ $SERVICEATTEMPT$ $SERVICEDESC$
>>
>> But i also want some other info via macros and i am using the
>> following link to see if macro is enabled or disabled
>> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/macrolist.html#hostoutput
>>
>> I want to get CONTACTEMAIL and CONTACTPAGER contents but these macros
>> are disabled with Global Host/Service handler, what is the easiest way
>> to get info for the conact macros with Global Event Handlers. I can
>> see $_CONTACTGROUPMEMBERS$_ is enabled with Global Event Handlers but
>> I am unable to get any value, seems like a bug.
>>

> This is not a bug. These macros are not available with event handlers,
> since eventhandlers do not have contacts associated with them. If you
> look at the matrix on tha page you linked, you'll see that CONTACTEMAIL
> and CONTACTPAGER work only with host and service notifications.

After re-reading your original question, I may have misunderstood, and
you're wondering why

$CONTACTGROUPMEMBERS$ doesn't work.

See notes 5 and 7 on the page you linked. These macros work as on-demand-macros in event handlers, since event handler have no contacts associated with them.  To obtain a list of conatct group members in that contacts, you would also need to provide the name of the group.