Escalation in Host / Service Definitions?

Chris Pepper pepper at reppep.com
Wed Feb 17 18:34:53 CET 2010

	To keep things simple, we define contacts in our host templates. This means that adding a simple host is as simple as copying & pasting a short host definition and changing the name. I'd like to do the same for escalations -- sending to the same people's cellphones via email, at least for now.

	We definitely don't want to add a hostname to hostnameescalation & serviceescalation definitions every time we add a host (in another file).

	Is there any particular reason hosts can define contacts but not escalations? This applies equally to services, of course.

	For now, I will define hostgroups inside serviceescalation, but I'm not sure how that will affect additional contacts (added with +user in individual host & hostgroup definitions).

	Alternatively, if there's a simple way to start with email notifications and then automatically start pager notifications (for those contacts with pager: defined) after an interval, that would work as well and be even simpler. I don't see anything built in for deferring pages until a few emails have gone unanswered, though.

Thanks!

Chris Pepper

--
Chris Pepper:                <http://cbio.mskcc.org/>