check_openmanage and net-snmp v3

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Fri Feb 12 12:26:46 CET 2010

"Verhaeghe, Koen" <Koen.Verhaeghe at meucci-solutions.com> writes:

> Thanks for your reply and the new script.
> These are the results:
>
> With windows SNMP (v2) it works:

Yep, that was expected :)

> With net-snmp v3 (version 5.4.2.1) on the same server, diabling the
> windows snmp, I get:
> ./check_openmanagetest -H xx.xx.xx.xx -P 3 --authprotocol md5 -U xxxxxx
> --authpassword xxxxxxx --privpassword xxxxxx --privprotocol des  -p
> multiline  -t 120 -o 3 -b ctrl_fw=all/ctrl_driver=all/ctrl_stdr=all
> SNMP ERROR [processors]: Received genError(5) error-status at
> error-index 3.

Hmm.. was this on one of the servers that previously has problems
fetching the cooling OIDs?

I believe it would be better to make this work with the standard Windows
SNMP service, which is what most people would use. Where the results any
different without net-snmp?

> This normally indicates a too low version of OMSA, but I am using 6.2.0.

With SNMPv2 on Windows, that usually is the case, yes.

I have a new test version for you:

  http://folk.uio.no/trondham/tmp/check_openmanage-snmpv3test2

This version uses get_table() for fetching OIDs for CPUs and physical
drives as well as cooling devices.

Cheers,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo