NRPE compilation on HPUX

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Thu Feb 11 17:30:37 CET 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Ciro Iriarte [mailto:cyruspy at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:31 PM
To: nagios List
Subject: [Nagios-users] NRPE compilation on HPUX

Hi, i'm getting issues compiling NRPE on HPUX 11.31, do you know what

missing library can cause this?

-------------

utils.c:

ld: Unsatisfied symbol "fromhost" in file nrpe.o

1 errors.

*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

-------------

Regards,

--

Ciro Iriarte

Ciro,

It's kind of strange, but I know I had the problem you're having at one point, but I no longer seem to have it on HPUX 11.31 (IA64).  I wonder if there was some OS patch that was applied that took care of that.  The OS level on our servers is shown as "HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 1200835863" if that helps.  swlist does show that we have an installed tcp wrapper package, however:

  HPUX-TCPWRAP                          B.11.31        HPUX TCPWrapper daemon

'nm' shows that there is a fromhost() entity in /usr/lib/libwrap.sl (libwrap.1)

Unless I'm mistaken, your issue is with the libwrap library which I think exists on HPUX, but isn't complete as far as NRPE is concerned.  I never spent a lot of time trying to find a generalized solution to this, but instead kind of hacked something into nrpe.c where I think I just commented out some of the #ifdef HAVE_LIBWRAP code segments.  Note that the fromhost() call you're missing is in one of the HAVE_LIBRWRAP sections.  I believe that NRPE expects that .  We don't use TCP wrappers anyway, so it's not a loss.

I first encountered this issue with PA-RISC HPUX and I believe the way I got around was to download the latest tcp wrapper code from the internet, then pulled out the function that I was missing (I don't recall if it was from host

My current issue with NRPE on HPUX is twofold -- the lack of some syslog capabilities, and that the configure script doesn't correctly find our SSL libraries.  I have made the following 2 hacky changes to make ours work:

*** configure.old       Mon Mar 31 13:49:11 2008

--- configure   Thu Feb 11 11:07:10 2010

***************

*** 6676,6686 ****

                        fi

                done

!               if test x_$found_ssl != x_yes; then

!                       { { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error: Cannot find ssl libraries" >&5

! echo "$as_me: error: Cannot find ssl libraries" >&2;}

!    { (exit 1); exit 1; }; }

!               else

                        printf "SSL libraries found in $ssllibdir\n";

                        LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L$ssllibdir";

--- 6676,6686 ----

                        fi

                done

! #             if test x_$found_ssl != x_yes; then

! #                     { { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error: Cannot find ssl libraries" >&5

! #echo "$as_me: error: Cannot find ssl libraries" >&2;}

! #   { (exit 1); exit 1; }; }

! #             else

                        printf "SSL libraries found in $ssllibdir\n";

                        LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L$ssllibdir";

***************

*** 6701,6707 ****

                        fi

                        # awk to strip off meta data at bottom of dhparam output

                        $sslbin dhparam -C 512 | awk '/^-----/ {exit} {print}' > include/dh.h

!               fi

        fi

                echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking for Kerberos include files" >&5

--- 6701,6707 ----

                        fi

                        # awk to strip off meta data at bottom of dhparam output

                        $sslbin dhparam -C 512 | awk '/^-----/ {exit} {print}' > include/dh.h

! #             fi

        fi

                echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking for Kerberos include files" >&5

*** src/nrpe.c.old      Mon Mar 31 14:02:59 2008

--- src/nrpe.c  Thu Feb 11 11:18:34 2010

***************

*** 613,622 ****

                log_facility=LOG_UUCP;

        else if(!strcmp(varvalue,"cron"))

                log_facility=LOG_CRON;

!       else if(!strcmp(varvalue,"authpriv"))

                log_facility=LOG_AUTHPRIV;

        else if(!strcmp(varvalue,"ftp"))

!               log_facility=LOG_FTP;

        else if(!strcmp(varvalue,"local0"))

                log_facility=LOG_LOCAL0;

        else if(!strcmp(varvalue,"local1"))

--- 613,622 ----

                log_facility=LOG_UUCP;

        else if(!strcmp(varvalue,"cron"))

                log_facility=LOG_CRON;

! /*    else if(!strcmp(varvalue,"authpriv"))

                log_facility=LOG_AUTHPRIV;

        else if(!strcmp(varvalue,"ftp"))

!               log_facility=LOG_FTP; */

        else if(!strcmp(varvalue,"local0"))

                log_facility=LOG_LOCAL0;

        else if(!strcmp(varvalue,"local1"))

Hope that's helpful.