Antwort: Re: Nagios 3.2.0 process dies silently - help!

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Mon Feb 8 14:18:34 CET 2010

Tony Johansson <tony.johansson at svenskakyrkan.se> schrieb am 05.02.2010
19:39:47:

> [pid 32731] write(6, "1265393559||AHS||C: Drive Space||c:\\ - total:
> 15.86 Gb - used: 7.60 Gb (48%) - free 8.26 Gb (52%)||c:\\ Used
> Space=7.60Gb;14.27;15.54;0.00;15.86\n", 144) = -1 EFBIG (File too large)
> [pid 32731] --- SIGXFSZ (File size limit exceeded) @ 0 (0) ---
> [pid 32732] +++ killed by SIGXFSZ +++
>
> "File size limit exceeded" seems to be the cause
> Disk space is plenty:
> df -h
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                       68G   28G   38G  43% /
> /dev/sda1              99M   30M   65M  32% /boot
> tmpfs                 506M     0  506M   0% /dev/shm
>
> Also, I did try renaming retention.dat, status.dat and moving files out
> of checkresults earlier with no result.
>
> Seems like /var/spool/nagios/perfdata.log is 2G while
> /var/spool/nagios/perfdata.log is a mere 11K
> I've tried renaming the file and started nagios which now seems to run
ok.
> Looks like I need to set up log rotation or what is the best way to
> handle perfdata.log?

2 GiB is the maximum filesize for an ext3 on x86_x64 platforms.

There is no need for nagios to "handle" the perfdata.log. Nagios
only writes perfdata if you request it to do so. This data is _only_
interpreted by external tools, like pnp. They care about truncating
the perfdata once they parsed it. Since you obviously don't use
any perfdata tool - why do you write perfdata logs at all? ;)

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Wilhelm Plumpe
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522