Nagios 3.2.0 process dies silently - help!

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Fri Feb 5 18:36:24 CET 2010

> Our nagios 3.2.0 installation is having major problems.
>
> The nagios process dies silently about 10-60 seconds after beeing
> started. No record as to why in any logfiles.
>
> Have tried setting max debug (debug_level=-1 and debug_verbosity=2) in
> nagios.cfg - nothing.
>
> System is a CentOS release 5.4 which has been running fine for months.
>
> Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this or what is going on?

I'd fire it up on the command line *without* -d, so it doesn't
fire up as a daemon.  Run it under strace so you can hopefully
see if a syscall is failing.

In my environment (RedHat 5.4), this would be:

strace /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

HTH,

Benny

--
"Blow with all your might into the bean stuffed straw."
                               -- Spam message, 2006-11