service notification

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Fri Feb 5 18:05:25 CET 2010

Clair Johnson wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I have simples questions.
>

> Is it possible *not* to execute host checks but execute services checks ?
>
> Is it possible to send services notifications when the host is not
> checked ?
>

> Because I don't understand, I'm not notified of services changes.
>

> here are parts of my conf files (They come from my old nagios 2.9
> configuration, I'm actualy moving from 2.9 to 3.2) :
>

> [config snipped]
>

> A run a complete custom interface but everything else seems working
> normally, except that the transition between state changes in only 1
> check attempt and not what is specified in the service description.
>

> Dose some one has any idea why I don't get notifications from services
> checks and why the max_check_attempts is not working normaly ?

That all looks right at frist glance. It's normal for the state to
transition after one check...  is it going into a hard state at that
point?  That's when the notification is generated, so if you're not
waiting for that third attempt, that would explain why you don't see a
notification.

It's also not clear to me if you're receiving notifications for the host
but not for the service, which again, would be normal.  If you don't
care about the host, you can just igve it a check command that never
fails (check_dummy works well for that), but I wouldn't normally
recommend doing that.

What's in the Nagios logs regarding notifications on that host and
service? Those would give a far clearer idea of what's going on than
just guessing.