A newbie configuration question

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Dec 30 20:37:58 CET 2010

On 30 December 2010 17:50, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:

> Can I build my service definition files as incomplete defs, and then "use"
> the resultant template in the servicegroup file, where I will fill in the
> approriate members?

I don't think it works like that.  Personally I don't bother with
servicegroups hardly at all.

I use hostgroups to group various kinds of host together.  I then use
the hostgroup in the service definition to apply that service type to
all the hosts in the group.

These concepts are explained in..

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objecttricks.html

I also recommend the book "Nagios" by Wolfgang Barth (pub. No Starch
Press) as he has a quite readable way of introducing a lot of the
concepts you need to understand when designing a Nagios configuration.

You'll find that in Nagios there are usually about six ways to achieve
roughly the same thing.  Which one is 'best' will depend on what you
want to do and your own preference.

hth,

Jim