A newbie configuration question

stan stanb at panix.com
Thu Dec 30 17:14:46 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 01:30:45PM +0000, Jim Avery wrote:
> On 30 December 2010 12:44, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
>

> > I am still confused by why the service def's have a filed for hostname. As
> > you point out, services don't necisarily relate to hosts. They are
> > functions provided, or statuses of a machine. and I would think thta
> > servicegroups would be where the assoctation betwen the service, and
> > thehosts that you want to check for that service wouldbe.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
> >

> Oh, I see.
>
> No, I don't think you are missing anything.
>
> I read somewhere (probably Wolfgang Barth's excellent book) that in
> Nagios each service should be taken to be the combination of both the
> service_description *and* the host_name.  Certainly in Nagios it is
> not possible to have a service which exists without a host.  If you
> look at the objects.cache file (probably under /usr/local/nagios/var/)
> then you will see how Nagios stores each service definition.  Even if
> you have defined services based on a hostgroup, Nagios will actually
> internally regard each service on each host as a separate entity -
> every service will have an entry for both host_name and
> service_description.

AH, thanks for pointing me at thatt file!! It makes a whole lot of things
clearer. Now I understand how Nagios "views" the world. Looks like there a
re a number of different ways to acheive the same end result, and I would
spsect that each one of those makes sense at some time and place to some
person. Not all of them make sense to me at the moment, but thta is OK.

Thanks, again.