A newbie configuration question

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Dec 29 23:52:45 CET 2010

On 29 December 2010 18:36, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> I am trying to rationalize a couple of Nagios configurations that have
> 2different histories, and they seem more different than I think they should
> be. So, first I want to get the big picture n my head, and decide what
> seems to be a sensible configuration to support going forward.
>
> Basicly I have in mind some thing like this.
>
> 1. Define hosts in a file
> 2. Define services in a file
> 3, Define commands in a file
> 4. Aggregate hosts in groups of similar types in a hostgroups file
> 5. Aggregate services in groups of similar types in a servicegroups file
>

> Now, where I start to get confused here is that the service definitions
> seem to have a filed for one or more hostnames. Why is this?

Services are often quite agnostic as to what kind of host they relate
to.  Take for example FTP.  Various host types will accept an FTP
connection but the service definition for them will always be pretty
much the same.

I do pretty much what you have described there, but have a
sub-directory for each host type.  For example, my servers-unix
directory will contain a hosts.cfg with the hosts definitions in it,
but also users.cfg for checks on numbers of logged on users, disks.cfg
for filesystem disk space checks, cpu.cfg for cpu% checks and so on.
I have a "services" directory for general-purpose services whichare
used for lots of different host types - things like FTP as I mentioned
before, but also ping, telnet, http and a few others.  I'm not saying
this is what you should do, but it (kind of usually!) works for me.

I also have a "templates" directory where I put most of my templates.
To be honest mine needs a good tidy-up though, as I've been rather
inconsistent in how I decide what goes in the template and what in the
object definition.