check_smtp doesn't support TLS?

Chris Beattie cbeattie at geninfo.com
Mon Dec 27 15:55:13 CET 2010

talonx at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to setup the check_smtp plugin for a remote mail server. I
> downloaded the latest version of nagios-plugins, built and installed
> it. This is what I get when I invoke check_smtp from the command line
> (actual data removed) -
>
> received 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
>
> I'm including the -S flag for it to use TLS. I couldn't see any other
> options that might be relevant. Any pointers?
I had something similar happen to me with SSL once.  I compiled and
installed the plugins, but I could not get SSL to work for the
check_http command.  I had installed the openssl package, but I had
forgotten to install the openssl-devel package before I compiled the
plugins.

When you ./configure the plugins, does it say "--with-gnutls: no" at the
end?  You may have to install the gnutls-devel package first.

Nothing in this message is intended to make or accept an offer or to form a contract, except that an attachment that is an image of a contract bearing the signature of an officer of our company may be or become a contract. This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, we hereby notify you that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and delete this message immediately.

Thank you.