NAGIOS_ environment variables in a notification script

Marc Haber mh+nagios-users at zugschlus.de
Sun Dec 26 17:36:03 CET 2010

Hi Mike,

thanks for replying.

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 06:36:39PM -0800, Mike Lindsey wrote:
> On 12/22/10 6:17 AM, Marc Haber wrote:
>> Despite having set enable_environment_macros=1 in my nagios.cfg, the
>> notification script only sees NAGIOS_PLUGIN=/path/bin/notify.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> I'm using Nagios 3.0.6 from Debian lenny. Any hints will be appreciated.
> enable_environment_macros should override use_large_installation_tweaks,
> which is what can also disable environment macros.  Perhaps your version
> is not acting as suspected?  See if you have u_l_i_t enabled, and if so,
> try disabling it.

u_l_i_t is explicitly set to 0 in the Debian packages.

> If that isn't it, try setting debug_level=2 (and debug_file, etc).
> Restart and check the debug output to see if it's actually seeing the
> config directive.  Perhaps you have a typo.

It doesn't comment about any confiruation in the debug file.

> Then maybe set debug_level=32 and run a few notification tests (or just
> set it to 34 initially so you get notification and configuration
> debugging)...

I have set:
debug_level=34
debug_verbosity=2
debug_file=/var/lib/nagios3/nagios.debug
max_debug_file_size=1000000

but it isnot too informative. Neither does it say how the
configuration directives have been processed, nor does it comment
about setting any environment variables (not even the NAGIOS_PLUGIN
that _is_ passed to the environment). It does dump the raw
notification command, but I know what Nagios does with that.

> Also, consider upgrading.  Nagios 3.2+ is great.

At this time, I prefer to stick with what my distribution delivers and
supports. Are there any security relevant things that could convince
me to take the burden of doing my own security support, or is the
environment issue fixed in Nagios 3.2?

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190