max_check_attempts over time

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Dec 23 14:15:53 CET 2010

On 22 December 2010 19:42, Daniel Wittenberg
<daniel.wittenberg.r0ko at statefarm.com> wrote:
> I want to know if a service restarts 3 times in one hour.
>
> Right now I can only find a way to do 3 times, ever, using max_check_attempts.
>
> Better ?
>
> Dan

If the service writes an event to the Windows event log each time it
restarts then I would think it should be easy to query NSClient++ to
alert if there are more than 3 such events in the last hour.

See:
http://nsclient.org/nscp/wiki/CheckEventLog/CheckEventLog

Note the new syntax for CheckEventLog is a whole lot easier now than
it was in previous versions, so if you're not using the up-to-date
version of NSClient++, then I recommend you upgrade.

If you're not using NSClient++, please state what agent (if any) you are using.

hth,

Jim